Sometimes I get a bit of a complex about being the digital geek and having read the attendee list I was humbled ( and to be honest shit scared that I’d be totally out of my depth ) by the list of names speaking over the two days – Dominic Proctor, John Charles Deceaux, Steve King, basically all that is great and good in the world of media. What struck me was that all these big fish kept coming back to 4 main points
1. agency remuneration models – commission doesn’t cut it anymore
2. social media – can’t afford to do it, can’t afford not to
3. value attribution – no one has the measurement model right yet
4. technology – is the future
So as the grand fromages mulled these points I thought about our stance with regard to them.
1. we rebate all commissions and charge on a time based model with performance related uplift, always have, always will
2. yes you can if you get the above right and also have a bunch of people who manage to live and breathe this stuff even though its not in their job title
3. ok you got me but at least we are no further behind than anyone else
4. gave myself a self satisfied pat on the back as people talking about technology without actually having a tech team ( in our case an 80 strong one ) is a bit like me talking about the virtures of an Alexander McQueen dress without having ever worn one, aspirational and unfounded.
So that is why today is a Happy Friday, I am not banging the drum and claiming the death of anything non digital however I thoroughly enjoyed the conference as it reinforced my belief in our proposition and I came away feeling not quite shark like but no longer a minnow.